Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'm trying desperately not to have a nasty attitude. Instead, I'd rather just dig a hole, line it with leaves, and curl up in it. To distract myself, this is a list of books I loved with a purple-nurple passion when I was growing up:

1- The Mrs. Piggle Wiggle books - Betty McDonald
2- The Boxcar Children - Gertrude Chandler Warner
3- Mischievous Meg - Astrid Lindgren
4- Harriet The Spy - Louise Fitzhugh
5- The Trouble With Soap - Margaret Cuyler
6- Wait Till Helen Comes - Margaret Downing Hahn
7- The Thing at the Foot of the Bed - Maria Leach
8- The Ghost of Dibble Hollow - May Nickerson Wallace
9- To Take a Dare - Crescent Dragonwagon
10- The Babysitter's Club series - Ann M. Martin
11- Anastasia Krupnik - Lois Lowry
12- Ripley's Believe It Or Not

2 comments:

Bette said...

Maybe this will improve your mood: Tell me which babysitter with which you most identified? My friends and I--all late-20s-early-30s--have had this conversation a million times. Usually someone starts fighting over Stacey. I, personally, always claimed Claudia, though I'm not nearly as flighty in real life.

As for Harriet the Spy--I LOVE that book. Fitzhugh is a Southerner--from Memphis!--and her book comments nicely on gender decades before it was okay to discuss childhood gender confusion.

Keep warm up there in CT!

jan said...

Oh I definitely wanted to be Stacey! She was from NYC, after all. But I think Claudia was my kindred. We both dressed kind of weird and had genius big sisters and lost our grandmothers around the same time.

You know, I never knew Louise Fitzhugh was from Memphis. Harriet was such an odd little klunker of a kid. She's THE BEST!