Saturday, September 26, 2009

I've been spending an inordinate amount of time on Facebook lately. Usually I only drop by if someone sends me a message or a friend request, but the past couple of days I've found myself Facebooking it every couple of hours. I think it's because my 15 year high school reunion is coming up in November and I'm not sure if I'm going so I'm trying to make up for it. It's not like this is the first reunion I'll be missing. I haven't gone to one yet. But this one seems important to me. We've all reached an age where we've truly been bitten by the serpent of life and I think it's made most of us more human and vulnerable. We've lost parents and gained children and married and divorced and moved and moved back home. Been arrested and ordained and gone through rehab and probation and grad school. These are people, some of them anyway, whom I've known literally since birth. People who share memories as sweet and evil and silly as the ones I struggle so hard to give justice to in the re-telling. Folks I haven't thought about in years, but still, folks that understand my roots.

1 comment:

jan said...

My old friend Dusty emailed me today:

"you know what's sad? of the things you've listed on your blog that have happened to people since high school, i can say yes to 7 of them.. had you included "used a dildo as part of a halloween costume" then it would have been 8.."