Friday, January 1, 2010

Seeing as how it's the first day of the year, I feel obligated to post. John and I rang in 2010 by watching "Inglourious Basterds", eating homemade pizza with roasted garlic, mushrooms and fresh mozzarella and not eating oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. We kissed one another at midnight, then all four of the cats and he retired shortly thereafter, leaving me to wile away a few hours on wikipedia studying up on Nazi war criminals. I want to be prepared in case I run into one down at the Bakers Dozen. These are the things I do at 2am. Also, missing people and hiding people are big old fascinations of mine. Velma's on the case.

Other weird ass things I can't get enough of:

1) Maps and atlases. I read them during my lunch break like they're the latest Nora Roberts. Come to think of it, that probably explains how I knew the answer to the donut question the other day.

2) Abnormalities. Physical, mental, emotional, psychological whatever. Just take a look at my Ernesto up there with his marvelous cauliflower feet. Show me an albino or some bloke in the library having a straight up conversation with himself and I'll be fascinated for days on end. My friend Lynn hates this sort of thing. She can't tolerate the idea of anyone being persecuted or exploited. I just want to get closer and swap stories. It always reaffirms my notion that every stinking one of us, from the hirsute lady down the street to John's old friend with the degree from MIT and the raging case of schizophrenia, shares even the smallest of commonalities.

No comments: