Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Concord, Mass



I took a mental health day today and John and I wound up in Concord. We have many fond memories of Concord because it's one of the places he took me during my first visit to New England. We got kind of a later start so we didn't stay too very long. But we did visit the Alcott House. Home of Louisa May and her fascinating family. Unfortunately, they don't allow photography inside the house. But it was lovely and well-preserved and this is the 100th year that the house has been a museum. It was originally built in 1650. That's right. 1650. How crazy is that? Anyway, I love Little Women even though I haven't read it since I was 12. And the Winona movie is one of my favorite movies of all time. I love everything about it. We enjoyed ourselves this day. Concord's an adorable little town with a village feel, but it's also right outside of Boston and is home to Concord Academy. So it was really crowded and there were more BMWs and Volvos than you could shake a stick at. It was still very pleasant. Today John coined a couple of phrases. Such as "the humble Hyundai". Because interspersed lightly amongst the German imports, we saw a few beat up Hyundai's which we figured is some parent's way of trying to humble his prep school youngun. My personal favorite phrase of the day is "un-shorts-unate". We pulled a u-turn in the parking area of the Minute Men state park and I asked what exactly was supposed to have occurred there. The whole time, John and I are eye-balling this poor middle aged bastard in running shorts getting into his convertible. We decided it was the scene of the Unfortunate Short Incident of 2012. Which John shortened to un-shorts-unate. We've gotten a lot of miles out of that one. I don't even know why we waste our time on television and movies when clearly we are our own form of entertainment.

No comments: